Walking Tour of Venice with Official Guide
Walking Tour of Venice - duration 1h 30m
This evocative walking tour starts from St Mark’s Square and will take you away from the busy streets to the treasures of the Castello area. An expert guide will walk you through the hidden squares, winding canals and historic architecture and give you an excellent introduction to the origins, symbols, traditions, building styles and life in today's Venice.
St. Marks’s Square and its architectural wonders is the starting point for this tour where you can explore the history and majesty of St. Mark’s Basilica, the wonderful Doge’s Palace, once the seat of power of the Venetian Republic, and the amazing Renaissance clock tower.
As you leave the square, you will be guided to the residential Castello area.
You will explore this part of Venice and all of its majesty, via its labyrinth of narrow alleys or “calli”, multiple bridges, winding canals and wide, picturesque squares or “campi”.
You will check out Santa Maria Formosa Square, one of Venice's biggest squares, with its church, named after the visitation of the Holy Virgin; the Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square, where you can admire the famous church which is the final resting place of several Doges; and the equestrian statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni, an Italian mercenary captain. The former home of Marco Polo, probably the most famous merchant and adventurer in Venetian history, and the Malibran theatre also form part of the schedule.
All through the tour, your local guide will provide you with fascinating historical facts and show you places of architectural interest. They will also share fascinating tales about how Venice has developed over the centuries and how the citizens of Venice live today. The ninety-minute tour ends in Saint Mark's Square.
• 1 hr and 30 minutes walking tour of Saint Mark's Square and the Castello area.
• Escape the crowds by visiting an atmospheric, residential part of the city.
• Fully qualified local guide.
• Live audio commentary.
• Pick up from a centrally located meeting point.
• Guided tour of the area covering Saint Mark's Square and Castello.
• Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary.
• Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish or German.
• This tour does not include access to museums or attractions.
• Optional gratuities.
• Hotel pick up and drop off.
• Food and drink.
• This is an external walking tour only.
• Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time.
• This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
• This tour is unsuitable for those with limited mobility.
• Please wear comfortable walking shoes.
• The walking tour will take place rain or shine.
• Child age: 0-5 (free)