The historical West Algarve with Transportation
The historical West Algarve - Islamic heritage, Bay of Lagos, Sagresduration 8h
Take this journey to the past of Portuguese Discoveries. Begin the tour in Silves, the first capital of Algarve and finish in Sagres, the most southwest place in Europe.
In Silves, the Moorish Shield surrounds the emblematic castle. The Islamic history found in this Algarve city is astonishing. In this place lived many scholars and poets of Al Garb (the West) of Al Andaluz, the caliphate who ruled for centuries allover the peninsula. The city’s tremendous walls give you, even today, a sense of stability and safety, while you can also have a nice walk on them and enjoy the view of the River Arade flowing right below.
Visit the Archaeological Museum and learn about centuries of history while also admiring the 12th century cistern well, more than 20 meters deep.
At night, the castle transforms itself into an enchanted place and you can understand how all the legends about bewitched Moorish maidens came to be.
The historic bay of Lagos was the starting point for many caravels to journey on their search of new worlds. It is a wonderful city, known for its intimacy with the sea, the warmth and friendliness of its people and also its cultural openness.
Final stop is the legendary Sagres. The Roman Rufus Festus Avienos described it in 350 AD in the following way: “the Cyanate Cape, where the sidereal light goes down, emerges proudly as the extreme point of the rich Europe and goes into the salt water of the ocean.” Almost 22 centuries later the magic lives on. Don’t miss to visit the fortress where Prince Henry the Navigator dreamed of cruising on an epic journey to find New Worlds. Lastly, make sure you visit the nearby Cabo de S. Vincente, the most south-westerly point in Europe. Witness the hidden, close to perfection, beaches that lie on the bottom of a 60-meter cliff.
• Visit the Islamic heritage that lies in Silves
• Learn about its legends and wonders
• Experience the feeling for adventure in the Bay of Lagos
• Enjoy the wonderful Sagres, the most south-west part of Europe
•There are no hidden costs, the tour rate contains all taxes, personal/driver with car/minivan, hotel pick-up and drop-off
• Its only logical your plans may change. There are no cancellation fees but we do kindly ask you to inform us ASAP if you wish to cancel/reschedule the tour
• Regarding pickup times, we are proud to offer specific pick up times. We request you are at your hotel lobby/ pick-up address at the time noted.
• Gratuities for your tour guide are not included in tour fares, are payable at your discretion, and are greatly appreciated.
• Any food, drink or services not specified above
• This tour is made by car or minivan. We use either cars (up to 4 people) or minivans (5-7 people)
• Stops are made depending on the itinerary
• The duration of the tour can be shortened upon request
• Add your exact location or hotel to your booking, as an extra transfer, so we can come pick you up
• Our guides are prohibited from taking any commision from the shops so feel free to let them help you buy any kind of souvenirs during the tour
•The pickup time is estimated. For the exact pickup time you will be informed locally
•Αll tours have free pick up transfer only from Olhao, Tavira and Cabanas. Pick ups from other locations have extra costs
• The start of the tour is around 9h30, if no one joins except your customers, this will be the pick up on the Accommodation lobby, if some changes are done, the client will be informed 24 h prior.
Child age: 3-12 after 2 pax
Availability: Not available