Interior Algarve & Guadiana River with Transportation
Interior Algarve & Guadiana River - Vila Real de Santo Antonio, Castro Marim and San Lucar del Guadiana - duration 8h
Have the chance to see the rural Algarve in this tour. Experience the unseen Algarve in the border with Spain.
Visit the depths of Vila Real de Santo Antonio, a town established in 1774, during the Englightment, as a copy of the street layout of central Lisbon, right after the earthquake of 1755. Fishing always had a major role in this city. One can see ferries heading to Ayamonte on the bank across and other boats crossing the Guadiana river. The main area is consisted of multiple shops and outdoor sitting areas. You also need to taste its tuna base dishes, an old traditional dish.
Next stop is the Castro Marim, a very old region in the Algarve and a significant place of Arabic influence until 1242. One needs to consider Algarve’s strategic position on the border and the will to defend themselves from the Moorish attacks from North America, to understand why this Castle was constructed, with its Fort and the walls. Its battlements provide an enormous view of the whole surrounding region, which includes the wonderful salt-pans (used for traditional salt production), which reflect the sunlight in their white span. You also find very special and authentic handicrafts which will please people who are a fan of popular art.
After that, you see the city of Alcoutim emerging from the hill, near the river. On the opposite bank lies the town of San Lucar del Guadiana. There you can see the beautiful Castle of Alcoutim, made in the 16th century, as well as the Misericordia (mercy) Church, the country house of the counts of Alcoutim and the Chapel of St Antonio. Witness the incredible Main Church, which was one of Renaissance’s first buildings in the Algarve, constructed between 1538 and 1554, in place of a medieval church. Try the, very well taken care of, gardens of the castle for an astonishing view. Imagine yourself in one of the many legends regarding this castle which include knights, princesses enchantments and uncomplete love and romance.
You will listen to many other stories that have to do with smuggling around the rocky banks of the Guadiana, but luckily they turned up to forge close bonds with the Andalusian people on the left bank.
• See the beautiful Vila Real de Santo Antonio
• Discover the Guadiana River
• Visit the, once filled in battles, Castro Marim
• Be enchanted in the medieval San Lucar del Guadiana
•There are no hidden costs, the tour rate contains all taxes, personal/driver with car/minivan, hotel pick-up and drop-off
•Its only logical your plans may change. There are no cancellation fees but we do kindly ask you to inform us ASAP if you wish to cancel/reschedule the tour
•Regarding pickup times, we are proud to offer specific pick up times. We request you are at your hotel lobby/ pick-up address at the time noted.
• Gratuities for your tour guide are not included in tour fares, are payable at your discretion, and are greatly appreciated.
• Any food, drink or services not specified above
• This tour is made by car or minivan. We use either cars (up to 4 people) or minivans (5-7 people)
• Stops are made depending on the itinerary
• The duration of the tour can be shortened upon request
• Add your exact location or hotel to your booking, as an extra transfer, so we can come pick you up
• Our guides are prohibited from taking any commision from the shops so feel free to let them help you buy any kind of souvenirs during the tour
•The pickup time is estimated. For the exact pickup time you will be informed locally
• Αll tours have free pick up transfer only from Olhao, Tavira and Cabanas. Pick ups from other locations have extra costs
• The start of the tour is around 9h30, if no one joins except your customers, this will be the pick up on the Accommodation lobby, if some changes are done, the client will be informed 24 h prior.
Child age: 3-12 after 2 pax
Availability: Not available